Foster Grandparents Program
Foster Grandparents are role models, mentors, and friends to children with exceptional needs. The program provides a way for volunteers age 55 and over to stay active by serving children and youth in their communities. All you need to join is the ability to give the kind of comfort and love that sets a child on the path toward a successful future. If you’re 55 or older and want to share your experience and compassion, you have what it takes to be a Foster Grandparent.
95-year-old Celemtene Bates shares the importance of love as a foster grandparent
We are very fortunate to have Foster Grandparents providing support to children throughout the State of Delaware. Needs are being met on so many levels.
Click below to view video about Celemtene Bates
Goals of the Foster Grandparents Program
- To enable the Foster Grandparent volunteers to remain physically and mentally active and to enhance self-esteem through participation in needed community service.
- To enable children, less than 21 years of age, with either exceptional or special needs to achieve improved educational, physical, mental, emotional, and social development.
- Applicants must be 55 years of age or older
- On a limited income
- Must be physically able to serve 15 to 40 hours a week.
- A non-taxable, hourly stipend
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Learn new skills
- Paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave
- Monthly in-service training
- An annual physical
- Attend an annual recognition event and receive awards based on hours of service
- The love of some very special children
Where They Serve
- Day Care Centers
- Head Start Programs
- Youth and Family Service Centers
Main Office-Kent County - Williams State Service Center, 2nd floor
805 River Road
Dover, DE 19901
New Castle County
Charles Debnam Building
1901 North DuPont Highway
New Castle, DE 19720
Appoquinimink State Service Center
122 Silver Lake Road
Middletown, DE 19709
Phone: 302-378-5770 x206
Sussex County - Georgetown State Service Center
546 South Bedford Street
Georgetown, DE 19947