A Matter of Balance Coach | Volunteer Delaware 50+ Community Partner
Description: Matter of Balance is a program based upon research conducted by the Roybal Center for Enhancement of Late-Life Function at Boston University. It is designed to reduce the fear of falling and increase the activity levels of older adults who have concerns about falls.
During 8 (two-hour) classes, participants learn to view falls and fear of falling as controllable, set realistic goals for increasing activity, change their environment to reduce fall risk factors and promote exercise to increase strength and balance.
Who would benefit from participating in the A Matter of Balance sessions? Anyone who is concerned about falls, has sustained a fall in the past, restricts activities because of concerns about falling, is interested in improving flexibility, balance and strength and is age 60 or older, community dwelling and able to problem-solve.
- A Matter of Balance Coach Volunteer – Upon certification, volunteer will be responsible for implementing the A Matter of Balance sessions through the use of lesson plans, workbooks, group discussion and activities.
- Training Expectations:
- Attend eight hours of coach training and earn A Matter of Balance Certification.
- Attend 2.5 hours of facilitator training update annually.
- Agree to facilitate two Matter of Balance classes within one year of certification.
- Classroom Responsibilities:
- Two Coaches are required to teach the class to participants. New coaches will be paired with an experienced coach.
- Prepare for each class by reviewing the Matter of Balance manual and materials.
- Present the class according to the directions, training and materials provided.
- Encourage interactive discussion about the concepts and skills presented.
- Demonstrate and coach the exercises outlined in the Matter of Balance Program.
- Promote socialization and a solution-oriented environment among the participants.
- A Master Trainer will provide support and mentoring to each coach.
- Criteria for Leadership: Good communication and interpersonal skills, enthusiasm, dependability, willingness to lead a small group, interest in working with older adults, life experiences valued - with education or health care experience a plus, ability to perform range of motion and low-level endurance exercises, ability to carry up to 20 lbs.
- Training Expectations:
To become a Volunteer Delaware 50+ volunteer in New Castle County
please click below to download and complete a
then either email, fax or mail the form to our NCC office.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 302-255-9882.
Mail: Volunteer Delaware, 1901 North DuPont Highway, New Castle, DE 19720
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: